4 Generations

witt_theod.jpg1. Generation: 1896 - 1933 Ing. Theodor Witt
In 1896 the founder Theodor Witt as a young engineer, acquired a steam engine factory that was for sale. Originating from a trading family in North Germany, a region called "Holstein" he intended to produce refrigerant compressors and refrigeration systems.
He was the inventor of the high-pressure float control in combination with a central surge drum and flooded evaporators. This design is still used to this day for industrial refrigeration systems all over the world.
From the beginning Theodor Witt aimed to simplify the running of refrigeration plants by use of automated systems.
 
witt_hans.jpg2. Generation: 1933 - 1965 Dipl.-Ing. Hans Witt
The son Hans Witt guided the company through the years of disruption during the war and post-war period and rebuilt the completely destroyed original factory at same "Kamperstrasse" site.
He designed and built the first refrigerant compressor with fully fabricated welded refrigerant compressor and developed the series AFP refrigerant pumps into a popular successful range of industrial components.
He also developed and installed the first ice water banks with hot dipped galvanized steel piping. These are installed in numerous dairies and breweries, which contributed to making WITT refrigeration systems well known throughout Europe.
 
witt_guenter.jpg
3. Generation: 1965 - 1998 Dipl.-Ing. Günter Witt
Günter Witt, the son of Hans Witt, continued the installation of complete industrial refrigeration systems, particularly ice water banks, which he optimised for improved operation and increased the range and production of components for industrial refrigeration.
He improved float regulators and refrigerant pumps, designed the original fully hermetic SP series pump, the open type GP series and most recently the HRP fully hermetic pump series. He also extended the factory production capacity for special pressure vessel units, such as pumping stations, spray chillers and economisers.
Under his management the company saw continuous growth culminating in the transfer of the company in 1984 from the old "Kamperstrasse" address to the new 20,000 m² factory facility at "Lukasstrasse 32".
 
mw.jpg4. Generation: since 1998 Dipl.-Ing. Monika Witt
The present managing Director and shareholder, Monika Witt, daughter of Günter Witt, first gained her industrial experiences in the USA and Germany working with low temperature air separation systems.
She is responsible for the technical side and continues the family line ensuring a unique continuity in the world of refrigeration.



 
we.jpg
4. Generation: since 1999 Dipl.-Betr. Florian Weber
Dipl.-econom Florian Weber, who is a great grandson of Theodor WITT is as a managing director and shareholder responsible for the financial management of the company.

Time of change
kamperstr1896.jpg 1896 Founding of a refrigeration machinery company
Young engineer Theodor Witt from Itzehoe/Holstein (Germany) purchased a steam engine factory that was sold in Aachen to start production and assembly of refrigeration installations.
kamperstr1896_dreherei.jpg The steam engine construction already in place and the own designed ammonia compressors were driven by a common piston rod, because electronic drive was not yet invented.
Also all production machines were driven by belts.
kamperstr1936_mittarbeiter.jpg
(works outing 1936)
Major customers
Fruit cold stores in Soutern Tyrol as well as slaughterhouses in Northern Germany belonged to customers in the very beginning.
Furthermore commercial refrigeration systems for trade and industry in Aachen's surrounding were erected.
kompressor_alt.jpg Beginning of the 30th of past century ammonia compressors in a welded construction were fabricated.

abscheider_alt.jpg The high pressure float regulator in combination with a central surge drum, flooded evaporators (and moisturizing device for the surge gas) was patented.
The originally as "WITT high efficiency regulation" named installation still corresponds to today's actual concepts for large industrial refrigeration plants.
kamperstr1944_brand.jpg
(The night before 11. April 1944)
During the war between 1939 and 1945.
1939 the son Dipl.-Ing. Hans Witt was appointed sole managing director of the since 1911 as GmbH listed company with ca. 100 employees.

On 11. April 1944 the factory in Aachen was completely destroyed by bombs.

Due to war-important orders (food-supply, low temperature-vacuum-simulation chambers for V-weapon investigations) the entire staff and their families were transported to Illertissen/Bavaria.

At the refrigeration company of Brothers Plersch production was continued.

Already in September 1945 WITT employees were allowed to return to Aachen which at this time was entirely in ruins.
kamperstr1944_zerstoert.jpg
(The morning of 11.April 1944)
kamperstr1945_mittarbeiter.jpg A new start 1945 in Aachen
took place with 25 employees. Production was established provisory in former pig feeding stables.

With repairs and new installations from old funds they were able to trade food to survive the years of hunger.
kamperstr1951.jpg
(The new erected facility 1951)
Re-erection of the factory
A new production facility with office area was re-erected at the old location south of Aachen.
The first customers being able to pay cash in D-Mark were icecream parlours. Later other trade companys followed.
The chocolade industry established in Aachen and many other industries who were in the business of storage or processing of food and beverages, pushed the installations of large scale industrial refrigeration ammonia plants.


produktion_1959.jpg The required compressors, high pressure float regulators, surge drums, refrigerant pumps and valves all came from the own production.
In 1954 the staff gained again ca. 100 employees. This number remained approximately constant until the 90th.
ew_anlage_1959.jpg The icewater years
In former times dairies and breweries required large refrigeration systems that were operated only for a short period of the day.
Because refrigeration at around ± 0 °C is required ice storage in combination with pumping of the melted water is a good way to serve the needs of this industry.
WITT became market leader for this special technology from mid 50th of last century.
With galvanized ammonia evaporator coils of their own production cheaper night electricity could be used to freeze ice that was melted during the daytime.
The easy handling of water at the locations were cooling was needed lead to the enormous success of this technology.
kamperstr1965.jpg Specializing in industrial refrigeration
When Dipl.-Ing. Günter Witt was announced sole managing director in 1965 he enlarged the facility by a new office building.
The until that date continued commercial refrigeration was stopped and instead production and sales of icewater plants extended.
prospekt_1981.jpg Production of refrigeration components was first only for the own installed refrigeration systems. Everything required in a refrigeration installation was manufactured, from refrigerant pumps and piston comprossors to float regulators, surge drums evaporators and evaporative condensors.
Linde was the first company to ask for WITT components and later many other industrial refrigeration contractors followed .
Component sales became a great success although sometimes contractors had some reservation to purchase from a competitor.
It was possible to overcome these reservations, due to the strict separation of the component sales from the contracting department
The advantages to get proven and reliable products for industrial refrigeration - based on decades of experience and knowledge - was obviously worth it.
lukasstr.jpg New location - Lukasstr.
To accomodate the growing requirements the company moved mid 80th from the old Kamperstr. location in the South of Aachen to a new and modern facility North of Aachen.
Design and development of a refrigerant pump
From the very beginning of the TH. WITT Kältemaschinenfabrik GmbH refrigerant pumps were needed in the refrigeration systems. First each pumps was individually designed and manufactured, but in time a serial product developed. From the first gear pumps the development went towards lateral channel pumps. The fisrt serial pumps had a double oil chamber, ech with its own oil fill pot. The shaft seal conisted of a simple O-ring.

pu.jpg

First brochure of WITT refrigerant pumps
Open pumps of the type PU

1940 - 1965
afp.jpg


Open refrigerant pumps of the type AFP

1962 - 1972
sp.jpg First hermetic refrigerant pump of the type SP

1965 - 1975
gp_pump1.jpg

Open refrigerant pumps of the type GP

1972 - today
hrp_5040.jpg

Hermtic refrigerant pumps of the type HRP, exclusively designed for industrial refrigeration purposes.1994 - today